Monday, September 3, 2012

Hotel Review: Crowne Plaza Lake Placid

The Great Room of the Crowne Plaza

I don't write many hotels reviews but after this weekend I thought I would share my thoughts on the Crowne Plaza hotel in Lake Placid, New York. I just returned from a wedding over Labor Day weekend and stayed at the Crowne Plaza. The Crowne Plaza isn't cheap. If you're looking for a $50 a night hotel, this is not your place. If the $400 a night Mirror Lake Inn rooms are too pricey for your budget, the Crowne Plaza is a nice alternative. Depending on the time of year and dates of your visit the prices can differ. This weekend I paid $129 for a Thursday night and $189 a night for the holiday weekend. My room had a nice king size bed with a patio that provided an incredible view of the sunset over the mountains. The view of the lake and mountains from the Great Room off the lobby is one of the finest views I have ever seen from a hotel.

Sunset View from my room
While the scene and the room are both splendid at the Crowne Plaza the atmosphere was just as impressive. The mother of the bride had booked the Grandview Cottage, a 3 bedroom cottage on the grounds of the hotel that served as Bridal Headquarters for the weekend. A constant flow of people came in when they arrived or came over for breakfast in Jameson induced hazes to piece the evening together. The hotel bar located in the Great Room provided those spectacular views but also reasonable drinks and classic pub food. After the rehearsal dinner we spent several hour throwing back the drinks, laughing and being a pretty rowdy crowd but the bartenders never flinched. When we finally left the bar area I cashed out my tab and started to walk towards the lobby when the bartender yelled, "Slater! Take these waters" and sent us on our way with 3 bottles of complimentary water. What more can a wedding guest ask for...a great view, a comfy bed and bartenders who call you by name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment